Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Involvement With Fraternities

So, You Want To Meet More Guys on Campus??
Well then...you did the right thing by joining a sorority!

A lot of girls have a hard time meeting guys on campus-especially if they are shy! I know I was shy my freshman year, and I had a bad floor in the dorm I lived in which didn't make it any easier on me. When you join a sorority, you not only get close to the members in your chapter, but you get close to fraternity men as well. Many events are planned for Greek members to get to know each other. I remember the first night (Bid Night) when I got into my sorority. My house was located next door to a fraternity on campus. When we ran to our house, the fraternity men were outside of our house with roses to welcome us (since we would be their neighbors the next year.) I was excited to see this because there were about 40 guys outside! I knew it was going to be a great year.

One of the most fun events planned is actual Big Night, which is planned about a month after you get into your sorority. At my school, it consists of two sororities and two fraternities who get together and go out and have fun together. All of the houses on campus do this and it is different who you go with every year. I remember when I went. I had so much fun because I met more people that night than I had my first month in college alone!

Events are planned with fraternities to raise money and volunteer. For example, some fraternities and sororities get together to help others in need by coming up with events to raise money. My sorority planned a car wash with the fraternity who lived next door to us. We also had spaghetti dinner where all of the fraternities come over and pay to eat; we they donate this money for a good cause. Even when I would go to class wearing my Greek letters, I would be approached by guys in my class who were in a fraternity. They would tell me they were in one and then we would be class buddies... we would study together and help each other out in class. Through this we would become friends.

Big brother night is also an exciting night planned for new members. It was one of my personal favorite nights. Every sorority is appointed a "Big brother frat." This means that every new member gets what is called a "Big brother." It is just like having a big sister, except it is from a fraternity. When my sorority had Big Brother Night, we all got together to hang out. I did not know who my big brother was until the end of the night, and when I found out we both exchanged presents. Through this we formed a good relationship and I knew I could always count on him. He would invite me to fun events and this allowed me to get to know the other members in his fraternity.

Exchanges are one of the last, but not least, things that are planned between sororities and fraternities. These are planned by position chairs in each sorority and fraternity. They are about once a week where one sorority and fraternity house get together to hang out and get to know one another. It is such a fun time and really a good way to get to know each house on campus.

Fraternity guys will become some of your closest guy friends on campus. There is something special about Greek life; when you are in a house it is a special bond that you share with each member of each house whether you notice it or not. I personally am still very close to a lot of fraternity guys that I met freshman year. I can see these relationships lasting for a lifetime; something I might have never had unless I joined a sorority.

No comments: