Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Privileges of Living in the Sorority House

You Will Receive Special Privileges Living in the House
Living in a sorority is a lot different than living in an apartment or dorm...

I bet you are wondering how living in a sorority is different than living anywhere else on your campus. Well, I am going to tell you a few things that you are going to like! First of all, you get special privileges that most college kids won't get through their four years of college. It may be different at certain schools (which if you haven't noticed by now, many things are). One of the first privileges you will receive living in the sorority house is that you will get a cook!! This was one of my personal favorite parts of living in the house. Your cook will make every meal for you- and put up a menu every week of what is going to be served. You can even request certain things you would want to have cooked for you if you don't like what is on the menu or if you area allergic to something. If you are late for any meal, you can sign up for a "late plate" and the cook will save you a plate for later. This is how it worked at my school, at least. Having a cook is awesome because dorm food is the same all the time and is pretty unhealthy. Our cook made meals that were pretty healthy and they were always different so I never got sick of them. He was a really nice guy too and we became good friends :) Another good thing about having a cook is that you never have to go grocery shopping! I live in an apartment now, and I always have to go grocery shopping and cook my own meals. It is a lot harder; especially because I am not a good cook at all! Having someone make every meal for me spoiled me and I wish I had it again this year!

Another privilege you will receive is having a maid. Yep, I said it; a maid. For my sorority, our maid cleaned every day. This was amazing because our house was constantly clean and I never worried about having to clean if I expected someone! Now that I live in an apartment it is a reality check because I have to constantly clean because no one is doing it for me. Our maid was really nice and made sure the dishes were done, vacuuming was done, and everything else in between. I guess you can say we relied on her a little too much, because if she was sick for a day the house got messy! It is also nice to have a maid because living in the dorms no one cleaned for me either and I had to take care of myself. However, it is nice to take on your own responsibility from time to time- in the real world most people do not have cleaning ladies!

There are many other privileges that go along with living in the sorority house. First of all, old homework and tests are saved every year from girls that have lived in the house. In my sorority, there was a study room that you could sit in if you didn't want to go to the library. ( Some girls in my house hated going to the library). Sometimes I didn't like to go to the library if it was crowded or too loud. Having a separate room in the sorority to study was a really nice way to not leave my house and be able to get some quiet time in to study. Also- the library closes at my school at 2 a.m. If I wanted to study more I could go sit in our study room. As I said earlier, old tests and homework are saved from previous members. This is an amazing privilege because if you have taken classes other members have with the same teachers, you will be able to study from their old homework or tests if you are confused on certain areas. Many people do not have this privilege.

Another privilege is that living in the sorority gives you a lot of space. Depending on what school you go to/sorority you are in, houses are typically pretty big. Mine had a basement, living room and upstairs. If I wanted to get away I would sit in our living room or T.V. room and just hang out. I never had that privilege when I lived in the dorms; I was confined to one tiny room at all times which could sometimes get on my nerves and my roomate and I would fight.

When you live in the sorority house fraternities will drop off presents at times just because. I remember our fraternity neighbors making us treats and dropping them off. It was also nice being able to walk next door and hang out with fraternity guys. Girls can be appointed as "DD" which stands for designated driver. When you live in the house, you can sign up for this job on the weekends and get paid for it. Each member pays between $1-2 for a ride and it is a safe way for Greeks to get around. A lot of people who are non-greek will have to walk or call a cab which costs even more money.


No comments: