Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Advantages of Holding a Position

Now that I have talked about some of the basic disadvantages of holding a position in the sorority house, I will talk about some of the major advantages as well. One of major advantages of holding a position in the sorority house is that it makes you a more mature, responsible person. How many people do you know can go through college saying they were responsible for taking care of 45+ chapter members by listening to all of their problems and dealing with them, taking care of all of the events, scheduling things, and talking with other sororities about planning and deciding events? This is definitely something that will make you a more rounded and mature person whether you like it or not; it will definitely help you enter into the real world when you leave college.

Holding a position in the sorority house will also keep you on your toes at all times. When I say this, I mean that holding a position will make you be ready for anything. You never know when a problem will come about with a girl that you have to figure out how to handle, or issues among your chapter with other chapters are happening. Holding a position will make you be ready to make decisions right away. This is a great advantage of holding a position; knowing how and when to make decisions quickly. I have seen this many times in my own sorority and have been impressed by the chapter members who do this.

It is obvious that holding a position is good for your resume. I have been to multiple interviews now, and almost 99% of my interviewers ask me when I have demonstrated leadership. If you hold a position, this is a great way to expand on your leadership abilities and it look so good to employers. Who knows, you just may get the job you want because you were responsible and help a position in your sorority house!

Another advantage of holding a position is that you are in charge. A lot of people like to be in charge. When you hold a position, you tell everyone else what to do, not vice-versa. This will make you very stern but in a good way. You will be seen as a role model by the members in your sorority, especially by the new chapter members who just join. They will look up to you and if you do a good job, they will want to follow in your footsteps.

Another huge advantage of holding a position is that you get your own room in the sorority house. You do not have to share with anyone! This would be great because when I lived in the sorority house I had to share a very small room with two girls. Although it was nice to have their company, I would have liked to have my own room at times.

These are only some of the advantages to holding a position in a sorority house. Some people might say the advantages are endless, but I wanted to give you a few major ones that I thought you would like to know about.

No comments: