Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Disadvantages of Holding a Position

Even though it may seem like there could only be advantages to holding a position in a sorority house, there are a lot of disadvantages that most people do not think of when they take up the responsibility of holding a position. First of all, holding a position is a major responsibility. It can make you feel like you have a lot on your shoulders and stress you out. I know a lot of girls in my sorority that hold positions and are extremely stressed out because they have so much to take care of all of the time. This isn’t how you should feel in your sorority; it should be a stress free environment all of the time.

Another disadvantage to holding a position in the sorority is that you have to live in the sorority house when you hold the position. Many people may not see this as a disadvantage because they like living in the sorority house, but for an older member, they might not like this because they would probably want to get their own apartment. What senior do you know would want to live with a bunch of new members just to hold a position in the house? Probably not many. This is why it is important to think about taking a position before you actually do; you should not rush into it without thinking because if you do you might regret it.

Holding a position is also very time consuming. Whoever takes on a position must be ready to give up their free time. This can conflict with school work and your social life, which will not be the best thing if you like to party and have time to relax by yourself. I know personally that I need time to relax and I like to go out so this would probably not be something I would be interested in. I am also very conscious about my grades so I would not like it if I started doing bad in school. This is just personal, some girls are able to balance their school and sorority work very well.

You also have to watch what you do at all times. Remember, when you hold a position you are representing your whole sorority house. The president has this the worst because everyone knows who she is not only in her sorority but in other sororities as well; she is responsible for talking to other sorority presidents about events, etc. If a problem arises, the president is the first person a member will go to. She needs to be someone that is respectful and trustworthy. My president was someone I always felt comfortable talking to and she represented our sorority well.

These are only a few of the disadvantages that can go along with holding a position. However, as I stated above, not everyone will see these things as disadvantages; some people may actually see these as advantages. I am just telling you these as a personal perspective of how I feel about them.

No comments: