Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Disadvantages of Living in a Sorority

Living in a Sorority Isn't Always Fun and Games...

You may be thinking that it would be hard to live in a house with so many girls at one time. This can be true for a lot of girls. In my sorority, I personally never had any issues living in my house, but a lot of other girls did. Some sororities tend to have a lot of drama when there are 30+ girls living in a house at one time. As you know, a lot of girls cause fights and drama over little things.

Sororities also involve girls sharing a lot of things. Think about sharing a room with more than one girl. I had to share a room with two girls and it got hard to have privacy at times. Also, two big bathrooms were shared throughout the entire house of girls. This could get frustrating if I wanted to get ready and people were in my way. Also, people are always on different time limits. My roommates would sometimes wake up at 6 a.m. and I would be going to bed every night at 4 a.m. It all depends on communicating with your roommates; if you let them know what bothers you or if you want to change something you should tell them immediately before it all bottles up inside and a huge fight occurs. This happened to a couple of girls in my sorority and things were never the same. So, instead of bottling up your feelings you should talk things out right away.

I found that a lot of my things were missing at the end of the year. A lot of times girls would take my things without asking and I would never know who had them. A lot of my favorite clothes and makeup were missing at the end of the year and I never found out who had them. This can get frustrating especially because I spend a lot of money on my things.

It can be hard to have alone time and study time to yourself if you live in the sorority house. As I said before, I was constantly surrounded by girls and sometimes needed a breath of fresh air. If I didn't want to go to the library I would stay at the sorority and study, but I found that it was very loud and I would get frustrated because I wouldn't be able to study as well.

A lot of girls grades tend to go down when they live in the sorority house. Think about it; if you are constantly surrounded by girls who want to party all the time and are constantly doing things, school won't always tend to be your number one priority. I knew this going into my sorority because my sister warned me, so I made sure to have separate time for just studying and said no to going out a lot of the time. Even though it can be hard because girls peer pressure you, the smart thing is to set aside study times because school should always come first.

A lot of girls think that living a sorority gives you a lack of freedom. Living in the house, you have to conform to the sorority's needs and listen to what they say. It is hard to get out of things if you don't want to do them because everyone always knows what you are doing and you can't get away from it.

The food can be an issue as well because if you don't like the cooking style of the food there is really nothing you can do. A lot of times girls in my house would frequently spend money on going out to eat when the cook already made them dinner they didn't want to eat.

No comments: