Thursday, October 2, 2008

Problems With Joining a Sorority

Some Problems With Joining a Sorority...

A lot of girls feel that there are some problems when they decide to join a sorority. I am going to talk about a few of these problems and how they can be addressed.

When I first joined my sorority, I heard that it might take away from my individuality. A lot of people go to college and figure out who they are and grow up. When I joined, I felt as though I was being told what to do and was conforming to other peoples norms and lifestyles. I did not really like the thought of it. A lot of my friends who didn't join a sorority used to ask me, "Why do you let them tell you what to do all the time? You should be able to decide things on your own; you're in college." I totally agreed with this statement and it made me re-think why I actually joined.

You are always in a huge group of girls that are in your sorority. Even when I am walking through the quad I see tons of sorority girls walking together in a pact. Some people see this as a "cult." I think it can be annoying seeing sorority girls walking around together not talking to anyone else but themselves. In a way it almost seems like sorority girls think they are better than everyone else. Sadly enough, this is the case for some girls, but a lot of girls do not feel this way.

It is hard to get out of mandatory things once you are in a sorority. If you do not want to do something ( I know a lot of times I didn't want to do certain activities because I felt uncomfortable or just was busy for the night ) you were pretty much out of luck because they made you do it anyway. I think college should be the time when you figure out who you are and turn independent and learn on your own; not a time to do things that other people tell you.

There is also a lot of conflict with other sororities on campus. There is ALWAYS gossip about who the "best" sorority on campus is. Being in a sorority has a very competitive atmosphere that some girls do not like. However, some girls like the drama of it. When I joined my sorority, I was friends with girls on other houses on campus. However, there was rivalry between my house and those houses. So, girls in my sorority didn't understand why I was friends with them. This was really upsetting to me and I hated it. It is hard to keep friendships with other girls in sororities if you are in one.

However, if you are strong like me you will find a way to remain friends with girls in other sororities. Until this day, I am great friends with many other girls on campus that are in other sororities. It is not always the case that houses will hate each other, but it is just very competitive and hard to stay friends with them.

Being in a sorority has its ups and downs and these problems I have mentioned are not always the case for everyone. These are just some experiences I have gone through and I hope you can learn from them if you ever go through the same thing.

No comments: