Thursday, October 2, 2008

Major Benefits of Joining a Sorority

Major Benefits of Joining!

Joining a sorority has major benefits. Some of these benefits include leadership skills, especially if you hold a position in the house. For example, if you join and are president you are going to have major leadership skills. This will help you in your future career and also in any job you may have for the future. Being president has you leading your sorority and being the prime example for everything that your sorority stands for, which is a pretty big position.

Being in a sorority is also a really good resume builder. Personally, I have been asked about my sorority for every internship I have applied for. It has helped me a lot and given me a lot of examples to talk about through my experiences. It shows that I didn't go to college just to screw around but that I went and was actively involved. This just happened to me recently when I got an internship position. They asked me several questions about my sorority and the benefits it gave me. They also asked me how I think being in a sorority would benefit me for their company. I think they were impressed with my answers. I landed a position with the company and I think a huge part of this is because I was in a sorority.

A huge benefit is that you will always have an active social calendar. Whether it be planned activities with fraternities, sorority activities, dances, etc. You will always be busy. Some people actually get too busy and see it as a bad thing! Personally, I have loved every minute of my social life in my sorority. I know that a lot of non-sorority members always ask me how I am so lucky to have events planned for me all the time. If you are not in a sorority, you will definitely not have as many events planned for you and you will have to figure out your plans on your own. If you know girls in sororities, you can hang out with them but not do all of the activities that they participate in.

You will have higher grades if you are in a sorority. When you first join, you have to have at least a 2.5 GPA otherwise you won't be able to join. Also, if you do not maintain this GPA your sorority can kick you out. They always push you to do your best whether it be having study hours for you or making sure you stay up to your academic potential. This is a really great way to make sure you have a good resume because future employers will always be looking at your GPA, not just that you were actively involved.

Lastly, the most obvious but perhaps most beneficial benefit of joining a sorority is the lifelong friendships you will make. Your sorority sisters will probably be the girls standing next to you at your wedding. I know this is the case for me! My sister just got married and had her sorority sisters in the wedding. The girls in your house will be some of the best, lifelong friends you will have for the rest of your life. You should take advantage of this and make the best of it!

No comments: