Tuesday, September 9, 2008

How Do You Know if a Sorority is Right for You?

You may be asking yourself, "Would I fit into a sorority, or is it something I should pass up?" Whether you are about to graduate high school and enter college, or if you are currently in college deciding if you still might want to join one or not, this website will give you some helpful tips to let you see if it is something you would like. Going into my college career I wasn't sure if I would fit into a sorority or not. I didn't join until my sophomore year in college to see how I liked college without it first. My first year as a freshman was fun, but I wanted to meet more people since I didn't have that great of a dorm. Being in a sorority is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I have decided to take everything I have learned from my sorority and help others who may be undecided of whether to join or not. You will enjoy being in a sorority if you...
  • Like meeting new people
  • Want to have tons of friends in college
  • Enjoyed going to dances and formals in high school
  • Like attending events with boys your age
  • Enjoy Helping charity
  • Won't mind living in a house with 30+ girls (depending on the chapter)
  • Want to have close friendships for the rest of your life
  • Will like having a support system
  • Enjoy being spoiled by having someone cook and clean for you
  • Have responsibility
  • Want to take an active role at your school
  • Want to have a good resume when you leave college
  • Are willing to put in extra time
These are only some of the things you should consider about yourself if you are thinking about joining a sorority. Some of these bulletpoint items have been my favorite part of the sorority...such as having a support system and taking an active role at my school.

Stereotypes: Are you Scared of What People Will Think?

Another reason some girls aren't sure if a sorority is right for them is because of the stereotypes that come along with them. A lot of times people think that sorority girls just party all of the time and don't do anything else. They may also think girls just join sororities to "buy their friends," because they couldn't make them any other way. It is true that some girls party but one of the best parts about joining is that there is always going to be girls just like you. If you want to stay in one night, there will be plenty of other who will want to stay in. If you want to go out for a little bit, girls will be there too. I personally didn't join because I was having trouble making friends; I wanted to make more friends. It is a great way to branch out and meet a completely new group of people you may never have met before.

Interested Yet? How to Know Which Sorority is Best for You

You might be wondering which sorority would be the best one for you. In all honesty it is a personal decision, and everyone can feel differently about what they want. When I went through recruitment, I chose the sorority that I felt the most comfortable in. The girls seemed real to me and I could imagine myself becoming close to a lot of them. I did not want to leave the house when I went for recruitment; I think that was a big sign. Try to imagine yourself hanging out with these girls on a daily basis. Can you see yourself laughing, crying and spending every day with them? If not then it is probably not the right house for you. There are many sororities to go through and I am sure there is a good fit for every girl who would consider joining.

No comments: