Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What to Expect as a First Year Member

There are Ups and Downs to Being a First Year Member...
But mostly ups ;)

NEW MEMBER INFORMATION

Your first year as a new member will be the most overwhelming. When you are accepted into the house you are brand new and don't know what to expect; it can be a little scary especially with all of the older members who are already in the house. Since you will be new to the program you won't know anything yet. But don't worry, because you will learn everything in a short amount of time and your first year will fly by before you know it; I know mine did. The older members in the house make sure you are taken care of and that you learn everything about your sorority.

Being a new member you will get spoiled the most. You will receive more gifts than any other year from girls in the house since you are a new member. I remember getting everything from t-shirts to candles the first night I became a new member. There was a big tub of things waiting for me at the sorority when I got there. Everyone is so nice and they just want you to be happy.

Being a new member, I remember having the most fees to pay. This is the only discouragement I remember having being a new member. You have to buy certain things and it can get a little expensive if you have to pay for it on your own. However, when your first year is over you don't pay nearly as much.

A lot of you are probably wondering what initiation is like as a new member... I am sure many of you have heard different stories. I wish I could tell you, but it is a secret :) However, I can tell you that it is an amazing experience and you have nothing to be afraid about. I am sure a lot of you have heard of hazing; but it is not allowed to go on and if it does sororities could be banned from the school so you have nothing to worry about in that area.

A really good part about being a first year member is that most of the events are planned for you. This is because the older girls want the new girls to bond and get to know one another just as they have. I remember going to so many sisterhoods as a new member and it really worked out to my benefit. I didn't need to go to half of the events I went to my last year in my sorority because I wasn't a new member anymore. The events planned as a first year member are the most fun, too. I remember having sleepovers at the sorority house with some of the girls in my pledge class and some of the older girls too. Your first year will be the fastest year out of all of them so make the best out of it and make as many memories of it as you can.

No comments: