Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Information on Living in the Sorority House

Basic Information on Living in a Sorority House!
Here are some things you might want to know!!

When you join a sorority, you will most likely be a freshman. As a new member, you will be living in the dorms but will be required to live in the sorority the following year. At some schools, you have to live in the sorority for more than one year; but at my school it is only required for one year. However, if you hold a position in the sorority (president, secretary, etc.) you have to live in the year you hold the position also. Holding a position is called being on the executive board.

Like I said earlier, if you are a new member, you are required to live in the house the first year after you live in the dorms. I never knew why they made new members do this; but I figured it out after my first year living in the house. Living in the sorority allowed me to get so close to every girl in my pledge class. Think about it; if you are living in a house with 40+ girls that you see every day, you are going to get close to them whether you like it or not. I shared a room with two girls that I got pretty close to when I first joined; but sharing a room with them for an entire year turned us into best friends. This sounds cheesy, but I really did feel like they were my sisters. We did everything together. I remember just laying in our beds talking until 4 in the morning about everything and anything.

Living in the sorority is a great way to get out of the dorms. You always know what is going on socially; think about it... if you are living with 40+ girls, you will always know where parties are or what people are doing over the weekend. It is such a social thing living in the sorority. It is also a great way to get out of the dorms. Some people enjoy living in the dorms, but it all depends on the floor you get. I remember my dorm sophomore year (I lived in the sororitiy house as a junior because I joined as a sophomore). My dorm was horrible and depressing. Just the set up of it was totally unsocial and I found myself actually being depressed at times. Living in the sorority my junior year was a breath of fresh air; I knew EVERYONE in the entire house and never felt lonely or depressed. It was also a lot cleaner than the dorms and I could walk around without any makeup on in my towel not having to worry about what people would think or boys on my floor seeing me!


Living in my sorority was actually cheaper than living in the dorms. I am not sure if this is how it is at every school, but this is how it was at my school. So not only was living in the house great socially, but it was a way to save money at the same time. Everything is paid for at once, including food, utilities, etc.

Moving into the sorority is also SO MUCH EASIER than moving into the dorms. Think about when you moved into your dorm. I know my experiences with moving into dorms has been horrible... you have to wait for an elevator and there are SO many people doing the same thing as you. It can take hours and is so frustrating and takes many trips going up and down since you have to use the elevator. It was one of the worst experiences I have had in college! When I moved into my sorority house, I could NOT believe how easy it was. First of all, there are only girls moving in and they do not all move in at the same time. It took me about a half hour to move all of my stuff in max. There was no waiting for elevators, crowded lines, etc. I couldn't have been happier about my move in. Also, other girls in the house will help you move in so it won't take as long!

Sorority houses also move in a week before anyone else on campus does (except for people who live in apartments). This is another reason move in is so easy because people are not around yet so there isn't any traffic and crowded lines. Moving in early is a benefit because you get to set up your things and not have to worry about it; you also get to relax for a week before school starts up and classes get serious.

No comments: